Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Practically perfect in every way: Steve Keene


Just taking a moment to appreciate Steve Keene, the New York artist who's been dashing off $5 paintings assembly-line-style since the early ’90s. I have several, most of them purchased at the WFMU Record Fair, but this Mary Poppins piece is my favorite, probably because it's a representation of one of my all-time fave movie musicals. The painting has been hanging over the fish tank in my elder daughter's room for years now, and the LP has been in heavy rotation on her Fisher-Price record player for just as long. She and I spent so much time listening to that record when I was pregnant with the younger daughter, that her name was inspired by certain lyrics. (No, she's not Mary or Bert, but a word that's used once as a noun and once as verb in two different songs. And no, it's not "Sister Suffragette," but I can't even tell you how much I enjoyed listening to my 3-year-old sing "We're clearly soldiers in petticoats / And dauntless crusaders for women's votes / Though we adore men individually / We agree that as a group they're rather stupid..." Oh, how I hope she goes to Barnard!)

Anyway. Steve Keene is still churning out his most excellent stuff; you can buy a grab bag lot of six for $30, which is something that I've been meaning to do for a while and I keep not doing it even though it would be a great (not to mention cheap) way to handle the Christmas list. So if any of you are on my list, that's what you're getting and don't steal my idea. If you're not, go to his website and get yourself some art.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...